Now that 2020 is behind us, we’re all looking forward to a new year. Many of us have New Year’s Resolutions ranging from weight loss to practicing mindfulness to engaging in a new hobby. This is truly the best time to start fresh. For many of us, this means developing a new skin care regimen and taking care of our bodies – both inside and out. If you’re looking for a way to rejuvenate your skin and build your confidence, consider Red Light Therapy.
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red Light Therapy uses a low wavelength red light that penetrates deep into the skin and is absorbed by cells. Collagen, elastin and fibroblasts are then stimulated which creates younger looking skin, diminished scarring and enhanced muscle repair.
The Science Behind Red Light Therapy: Photobiostimulation
Red Light Therapy initiates a photobiostimulation which is when a chain of chemical reactions is triggered by exposure to light. Two major events occur when the respiratory electron transport chain is stimulated:
- Reduction/oxidation of the mitochondria is changed which creates an enhanced ATP synthesis
- The cell membrane permeability to the flow of calcium is altered due to the activation of sodium/potassium
Because of these events, the cell is provided with more energy and the cell is able to play its natural part in the healing process.
The Benefits of Red Light Therapy
There are numerous benefits when it comes to Red Light Therapy ranging from improved skin health to body contouring.
The benefits of Red Light Therapy include:
- Fine lines are reduced – collagen is boosted
- Improvement in complexion, sun damage & age spots – there is more blood flow to deliver oxygen to areas that need repair
- Acne is cleared – skin tissues that acne has destroyed are repaired
- Faster healing process in wounds – blood flow to these areas is sped up, allowing the body to naturally heal itself
- Hair growth is stimulated – hair follicles are stimulated from the red light
- Weight loss – temporary pores form in fat cells that allow lipids to leak out
- Improved mood & cognitive function – depression and anxiety are reduced
Post Red Light Therapy Treatment
Immediately following your treatments, it’s important to use the vibration plate or get 10-30 minutes of exercise. This allows your body to deliver substances from the interstitial space to your liver for processing and release, in turn, burning fat and losing inches from the treatment areas.
To view more benefits, check out our informational page on Red Light Therapy.