To put it simply, there is no substitute for healthy eating. Proper nutrition supplies the building blocks from which our bodies are constructed. Imagine a skyscraper that has been built with scrap lumber. Would you expect this structure to be sound? Of course not. The proper material wasn’t used for the job. In the same manner, we won’t be strong if we build ourselves with components that aren’t appropriate.
Our bodies perform their functions and maintain themselves when given the proper building material. In this case, that means the food we eat. How well the body is maintained is dependent on the quality of the nutrients we take in and whether the body is able to digest, absorb and use them. When symptoms of illness appear, it is the body’s way of telling us that it is under stress and undernourished.
Nutritional stress can result from:
- Quality of the food you eat
- Eating processed foods containing refined sugar, additives and preservatives
- A lack of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Not staying properly hydrated
- Using caffeine to get you through energy slumps
- An inability of your body to digest, absorb and use the nutrients from the food you eat
These issues can lead to the following symptoms:
- Heartburn – Indigestion
- Gas pain – Bloating
- Constipation – Diarrhea
- Inability to lose weight
- Anxiety – Depression
Treating these problems means adjusting your eating habits and changing your diet. I’m hesitant to use the word “diet” because we’re not talking about the latest popular quick-fix diet, liquid diet or starvation diet that you read about on social media. We’re talking about learning a new healthy way of eating to fuel our bodies.
Plus, “diet” screams restriction to me and food is much too important to our everyday lives for that. Food is the body’s sustenance and is meant to be enjoyed. As part of your personalized wellness program, you will learn how to eat for life, health and vitality. Your program will be based on your personal and family history, laboratory results and a comprehensive examination. It will include nutritional supplements using food enzymes, herbs, vitamins and minerals.
To begin the treatment process with a new patient, I examine posture, range of motion and functional movements/strength (this is the chiro part). If the patient does not show improvement based on my best clinical judgement then I additionally use palpation, patient survey, urine and blood lab work to determine underlying nutritional deficiencies that are resulting in constant re-occurrence. I am often told by new patients that they have never had an exam like mine.
Here are some facts and benefits about enzyme nutrition (courtesy of the National Enzyme Company):
- Enzymes are an essential element of raw foods and have a critical role in digestion.
- Food enzymes break down foods in the upper stomach prior to inactivation by gastric acid secretion. This is commonly called “pre-digestion.”
- Food enzymes are eradicated by the heat of cooking, canning, pasteurization and other processing methods.
- Without the presence of food enzymes, the body must secrete additional enzymes, acid and bile to handle the larger digestive strain. The capacity of the body to regulate the release of enzymes according to need is known as “adaptive secretion.”
- The greater digestive demand cheats the body of energy and resources. This enables degenerative disease to gain a foothold.
- Supplemental enzymes take over for the enzymes that are forfeited by cooking and processing.
- Fungal and plant enzymes function in the upper stomach to aid the operation of pre-digestion.
- Consuming food enzymes as well as supplemental enzymes will thwart or decrease the incidence of Digestive Leukocytosis, the inflammation that comes from eating cooked foods.
- Food enzymes and supplemental enzymes can yield systemic gains.
Bottom line: The old adage is true — we really are what we eat. My goal is to make you healthy based on proper diet and nutrition rather than medications. Pharmaceuticals have their place, of course, but in many instances they will only continue to mask the fact that you aren’t giving your body what it needs to perform at optimum efficiency. I can fix that with enzyme therapy.
Let Dr Miller start your way to a healthy life through excellent nutrition, call 585-396-0527 or fill out the form on this page.